Friday, October 19, 2007

Me Do Science...

Sometimes I feel, I haven't given full justice to my new status as a "Master" of science (note the capitals please). Also, I don't think I harp enough on the fact that my IQ puts me in the Genius region.

But you should know that although you don't read about it, doesn't mean that I don't have a science lab at my home.

Just to give you an example, remember how you feel when a fly thinks he/she is Maverick and uses your ears as control tower1? Well, I am sure during the afternoon nap, the irritation factor goes up tenfold. Now, a normal person would have gotten out of bed and tried to shoo away the fly. The benevolent scientist that I am, I decided to invent something to catch flies.

I envisioned some kind of adhesive polymer2 which only sticks to flies, and which will engulf them enough to impede their fast flight. Being a systematic person, I set off checking the items off my list.

First off, I got my mad-scientist laugh ready for when I finished my invention, and my shy-scientist smile for when I would accept the numerous awards and felicitations. Then I started listing all the ingredients, and started planning the experiments.

First on my list: find which substance sticks to a fly, and not tangle in the user's hair. That's when I realised, I had gotten myself into kind of "recipe for rabbit-stew"3 position. There was only one fly available there, and it was zooming around my head.

At this point, the programmer in me saw a big infinite look looming ahead, and aborted the whole program.


- The Great Eagle Has Spoken

Notes:
1. i.e. buzz around your ear. Come on, you didn't get that Top Gun reference? What kind of movies have you been watching?
2. Read: sticky webby substance.
3. You know the one I am talking about, right? The one which starts (or rather, should start) with "Catch a rabbit"...

Quote of The Day:

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' (I found it!) but 'That's funny ...'
- Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

7 Comments:

SiD said...

sometimes i rue that i don't have a Genius wala IQ.. (or is it that I am thankful :))
but khair.. now that I am also becoming a 'Master' at Management.. so i would suggest you go ahead and make that product of yours.. . I am here to market it!! ;)

Amey said...

@Sid: Oh, it can be quite a burden sometimes, as you can see ;)

I will get to my experiments as soon as I catch a fly. We want the product to work on "wild" flies, right?

SiD said...

Actually marketing involves a lot of gas.. so for me it doesn't matter if its wild or 'unwild'.. i will make it acc to what the customer wants.. :)
but ya as a researcher and developer, it may not appeal to your conscious....so all the best... keep finding..:)

Amey said...

@Sid: Interestingly, last week I was talking to a marketing person, who told me that in most companies, there is a constant conflict between marketing and R&D staff. This is the reason he mentioned.

Anonymous said...

hehehe..Master of Fly Catcher!
wud u please invent something to catch a bf/gf for us? lol

Anonymous said...

dawww why comment modefication lol

Amey said...

@Nikichan: Well, if I could invent that, would I still be single? :(

And I am using comment moderation just to make sure I can reply to all comments.