Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Brain....

Was reading "Bracco's Brain" by Carl Sagan yesterday... some cool stuff about the capacity of brain, size of info in universe and all...

He mentions that brain can only contain some 10^15 bits of info... pretty small, huh??? And after that is filled, every new bit of info replaces some old bit... Wonder if the brain uses FIFO or some other algo?

So supposing you have your brain filled, the next time you watch "informative stuff" like "predators" on discovery, you are forgetting something about String and Set you learnt earlier... So you need to learn it again, and in the process you are forgetting Swing and AWT... Looks like Govinda movies are the only safe stuff to watch if you love your job, as they dont need you to use your brain...

Think good ol' Sherlock got it correct.. "Brain is not stretacble bag, its more like attic. So you need to make room for the stuff you learn."... (Hell... I forgot the exact quote... result of too much JAVA maybe)...

So all in all, I am off to think of something I can forget to make some room for the J2EE stuff I am supposed to learn...

3 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That makes a lot of sense..I couldnt figure out why I seems to forget lot of things.. Looks like I've been learnig a lot of new things.

Booklogged said...

I can't believe that's true. I think our mind has a capacity far beyond what we uses

Amey said...

@Figo: Think so...

--------------------------
@Booklogged: Oh well, if I remember correctly, the point was that the memory is concious and subconscious. So what you are saying may be true, we do have a lot of reserve of memory and mental capacity which we don't use at all (at least not consciously).