Sunday, May 07, 2006

Status Report

I'm back. After a long time... So, I guess a review of what happened in last 1 month, and what is going to happen in next some months is in order.


  • Exams are over. So, I finished my first year in Graduate school. That's all I have to say on this subject.

  • Watched some good old movies. “Dil Chahta Hai”, “Tere Mere Sapne” and now watching “Saathiya”. (Thanks Lily) Some movies are never forgotten, because of the memories associated with them. Thanks to Citibank and my roomie, can watch “Rang De Basanti” whenever I want.

  • Watched “And then there were none”, on Agatha Christie novel. The only gripe, they changed the end. And I thought only Hindi movies had to have the hero and heroin walking into sunset at the end.

  • Watched “Darna Zaroori Hai”. Not a fiasco as the first Darna movie, some of the stories are pretty well executed. Most of the twists are predictably predictable, but then any hindi moviegoer worth his salt should be able to predict any hindi movie story (even if it is a thriller). Acting is above (expected) par in many cases, even Reitesh (is that the spelling now?) Deshmukh. Only gripe, why did the morning have to come in the end? The movie was 2 minutes too long for me. And still, I haven't found a director who uses silence as well as background music.

  • Watched “Private Life of Sherlock Holmes”. If I didn't know it was kind of parody, I would have picketed the director's house (not sure he is alive yet, still). Holmes was engaged to get married? What next, he was married and his wife died??? And I thought Mycroft was supposed to be quite healthy, if not completely round. But the dialogues are too funny sometimes, and I can forgive the director because he hasn't changed the core of The Great Consulting Detective much. Of course, the references to Irene Adler are too obvious.

  • Watched “Dial M for Murder”. Typical Hitchcock.

  • Watched "Iqbal" after a long time. Great movie. Tried to watch "3 deewarein", got till the second last chapter and the DVD started playing wierdo. Still to watch the climax.

  • Missing a great road trip with my friends here, because I have to finish some work here. They are out for a week, and I have only my laptop and movies to pass the time.

  • Trying to finish “Sands of Time” with my friend. Can't pass one level, even when playing co-operatively. Don't know what we can do when we couldn't pass the Sand King (“uncle” in our language) with full life, and computer feeding oh-so-slowly. Maybe will try again when my roomie gets back.

  • Playing “Silent Hunter III”. Finished one career from 1939 to 1945. Got “Knight's Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds”, but my rank was Jr. Lieutenant from start to end. Please tell me how I can get promoted. Started another career, and have advanced till “Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords”. No promotion yet again.

  • Read "V for Vendetta" full 10 comics. Worth reading, and if the movie sticks to the story (except maybe a 16yr old first time pros), I am looking (even more) forward to watching it.



All in all, watched a lot of movies, and played a lot of PC games. Enjoying life as it comes...


  • Last but not the least, going to India on 14th. Will be there for the longest time (without any work) since, let me see, 9th std. From the mails, offliners, scraps, phone calls et al (I love this word) I have got till now, the expectations about me are:

    • I am going to talk with an American accent, and like, start conversations with 'sup dude. (Me, and American accent? That's like, impossible man.)

    • Call taxi cab, and ask for cheque in restaurants. (Fat chance of a taxi in Pune)

    • Start walking and driving on the wrong side of the road (the most probable one, so I am not driving. I am asking my friends to chauffeur for me)

    • Start drinking mineral water only. (Fat chance since I am drinking tap water here, which we use to wash the dishes and all that)

    • And the finest one: Getting down from the plane, I am going to walk to my mother and tell her, “Yeh hai teri noo, teri bahu. Iska naam hoyega Sue. Khas London se pakad ke laya hoon” (Yes, my flight is via London.)





The Great Eagle has spoken...

Quotes of The Day:

Haasil kar aaisa shikhar
Parbat ki bhi nazrein uthe
- From the song "Aashayein", Iqbal

18 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the great eagle survives India or India survives the great eagle :p
Welcome home soldier!

Anonymous said...

okie .... got it now .....

dial m for murder ... rem watching it years ago on DD2 .....

what sub are u doing in grad school ?

irene adler ... yup ... one of the few women who defeats the great holmes .... right ????

Anonymous said...

btw , i'll do ur tag after my next post .... is that fine ???

btw , r u sure u r not brinking back a 'Sue' ?????

@ That's like, impossible man : Isnt this an accent ?????

Anonymous said...

Hey din know u were going to India.. how long will you be there ?? njoy !!! BTW walking and driving will be a real confusing ... it took a month for me to get used to walking here on right side !! and water me too drinks directly from tap but never fell ill whereas in india even when i used to have boiled and filtered water i used to get water infection!! :)

Anonymous said...

kekekekekekeke....

funny stuff.. like the idea of introducing ur mom to sue.

Amey said...

@Silverine: (Air) India, here I come! Jr. Lt. Adler reporting for duty ma'm!

@Deepa: Me trying my hand at Biomedical Engg. Try this for my (yet to up-to-date) college blog.

Irene Adler didn't defeat Holmes, but yes for him, she was The Woman. (BTW my pen name Adler has no connection with her)

I am till now sure there is no Sue, kal kisne dekha hai ;) And I tried my hand at the accent thingie there, looks like I succeded. If I have to put an accent, I would love it to be british.

Do the tag at your convinience, after you finish the trips ;)

Amey said...

@Kani: Will be in India for about month and half. I know about traffic, it takes some time to acclimatise. I took about the same time in Germany too.

@If I tell ya, I'll have to kill ya: That's a long name, willit be ok if I call you IITY?

When Hyderabad Blues came, people expected the students returning from US to start looking for girls directly. And now that RDB is out, they are even putting dialogues in our mouths. What next I ask...

Anonymous said...

yup ... i remember .... abt Irene Adler i mean .... she was too quick ....
thanx for the clarification ...

BioMed Engg ? Great ... that was my subject too !

Anonymous said...

hehe!! want to see what mom will say!! anyways.. have fun! and by the way.. i read that agatha christie novel in my senior year in high school for a book report!! the memories!!

Amey said...

@Deepa: Yes, I was hoping he will come across her again at some point of his career. You did BE in Biomed Engg? That's what my roomie did at Banglore.


@Opinionated: My mom? Not sure... but the expected reactions in that case would range from heart attack to to mild shock. Anyways, as I say, it's hypothetical.

Agatha Christie books are always a good read. Any other authors recommended?

Anonymous said...

nopes .. BioMed was a subject i took

Amey said...

Kani said...

y r u reporting same status twice ?? :)

12 May, 2006 15:10


Figo said...

so many movies? :-)
i think i saw some part of shelock holme's private life and dint like what i saw.

sahi re item, me also thinking about taking a long leave.. umm..

12 May, 2006 21:55

Amey said...

@Deepa Hey, that's like me... Me too had Biomed as a subject in BE.

@Kani: I was playing around with the Performancing plugin. Seems it re-sent the same post. That's why I had to shift the comments too...

@Figo: Why didn't you like it? Well, it's kind of spoof, so I didn't mind Holmes telling the Ballerina that he was... well, you get the point.

Long leave? Go for it, man...

Anonymous said...

:)))) Update

Anonymous said...

biff bam !

Anonymous said...

well, u must have landed by now and may be have introduced Sue to ur mom... :)
when i read the words "Getting down from the plane,.."
I thought u were writing about u running to ur mother like Shahrukh Khan in Kabhi khushi kabhi Gham...u know black overalls.. bag slung around the shoulder..wind into his face and running in slow motion.....

Anonymous said...

ok !

Amey said...

@Deepa: Biff-bam? Reminds me of Batman of the old... Your tag coming up.

@Sid: I contempleted that idea, but then to pull such stunt I need a black Bell Ranger and a palace. Trying to land a heli in front of my home will lead only to tragedy to flora, fauna and me.