Saturday, August 02, 2008

Are you kidding me?

Statutory Warning: This is going to be complete rant. If you don't want to get into a royal funk, you can skip to the photos at the end.

I am assuming all the people reading this love to read rants, so here goes:

Search for "Indian Government + State Funeral" on Google, and you will get two results at the top, about Ishmeet Singh and Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw. Look at the wording in those news now, and you will know who gets the honour in India. The honour is limited to "public figures", which of course includes people in government, influential leaders, and apparently, winners of reality shows*. But evidently, you have to make an exception, sorry, a "rare" exception for India's first Field Marshal, a man who won a war which created a nation, a man who is a national Hero in his own right.

Oh, and the Defence Minister was not able to make it due to "long flight followed by journey by road". You think the family of the deceased should have had more sense to have the funeral in a more accessible place, don't you?

And while we are on the topic of Indian Armed Forces, did any of you remember that 26th July was Vijay Divas? Nobody? Don't beat yourself up, neither did our Government.

And we wonder why there is a dearth of officers in Indian Army**.

On a positive note, I have changed my opinions about the new and improved Mahabharat. I didn't know it would prove to be such a veritable nail-biter, not to mention a great source of knowledge. I mean, how else would we have known that the "son" Satyavati proposes to use to continue the Kuru lineage is Ved Vyasa and not Bhishma? And in the recent episode, I was completely sure that the God had pulled a fast one on Kansa by talking about Devaki's 8th son, when it was clearly a daughter. Luckily Vasudev cleared that mystery up, otherwise the suspense was killing me.


Now that I have put you in a very bad mood, here's something to make you happy. There's something for everybody in there:





And don't worry about me. Reading Spanish novels on top of everything else does this to me sometimes. Not to mention, the database and the server refuse to start properly, thereby dashing all my hopes of getting any work done today. I will be back to my regular self soon.


- The Great Eagle Has Spoken

* I haven't heard Ishmeet Singh sing and don't know much about him or his life, and I am not commenting whether he is worthy of the honour or not.
** I am completely aware of my status as armchair critic in this matter. I know that my only connection with Armed Forces is some cousins and friends serving in different branches, and the closest I have come to the service is 2 years stint in NCC. So don't send me any comments saying "if you feel like this, you should join army". The point here is not that.

5 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh,, wax museum ?? Where was it ?

Ishmeet was a good singer but I don't think he should be given a state honour. It'll definitely set a precedence.

Read your post on Talons also. lolll

Wanted to comment on that charger wala post but not now.

Cuckoo

Sreejith Panickar said...

Madam Tussauds?

Amey said...

@Cuckoo and Sreejith: Yup, Madame Tussads NY it is. The flash really brings out the "wax" doesn't it?

-------------------------
@Cuckoo: Given my state of mind, I thought a two line post wasn't enough ranting. So...

On that note, are you catching the new Ekta's Mahabharat?

As for Ishmeet, it is tax-payer's money they are using. Talking in reality show terms, why should people who didn't vote for him pay? Secondly, yes, it might set a precedence. Or probably, it was done because he was the latest winner/celebrity. Will the same thing happen when the old winners die in the course of time?

And there is no rule that you should comment only on the latest post ;)

Over Rated said...

My sentiments exactly. With all due respect to Ishmeet, his death, though a tragedy, did not deserve state honors. He did not participate in the reality show for the country's benefit. I'm sure he had a great future ahead, but that does not warrant a state funeral. The Punjab Chief minister was just pandering to the public.

What's even sadder that there were more government officials at Ishmeet's funeral that FM Manekshaw's.

Amey said...

@overrated: Are there elections on horizon in Punjab? Or is it for the national elections?

And as for Government officials, Ishmeet's body was flown by a chartered plane, so I assume the funeral was not held in a place where you had to have "a long flight followed by a drive" to get to it.